Let me tell you more about myself
Egyptologist and Egyptian Private Tour Guide – Amr Shamala
Now as a fully qualified Egyptologist, I have been working in the tourism industry in Egypt for the last 19 years and am able to share my knowledge and experiences. Most of that time has been spent guiding travelers, helping them to experience our Egyptian lifestyle and hopefully changing their perceptions of Egypt.
I am fluent in Arabic and possess a very good command of the English language.
Now my main career objective is to play a more significant role in promoting Egypt specifically through tourism, by utilising my vast experience and knowledge. I am offering travelers a unique and exclusive glimpse of my Country, accompanied by me as their personal tour guide in Egypt.
Being flexible, having fun and making sure that my travelers’ get the most from their vacation is my primary focus and goal.
My life in Cairo
I consider myself extremely lucky to have grown up in a very healthy, middle class family environment here in Cairo. I received a very a good education and was able to activity pursue my career choice with much support from my parents.
Today I still enjoy a good life with my family in Cairo. I am extremely proud of my three children. My eldest son is in his second year of college, studying Marketing; my eldest daughter is in Grade 11 of her American Diploma; whilst my youngest daughter is in Grade 4.
My most favourite pastime is relaxing and spending time with my family. I enjoy going to the cinema, listening to music and reading. I am a huge diving enthuisast and am a qualified scuba-diving instructor (CMAS International Certificate). I am also involved in local community activities, having been both past President of SWYAA-Egypt (Ship for World Youth Alumni Association) and the Katameya Rotary Club.
My professional experience
Since 1992 I have been predominantly involved in promoting Egypt through lecturing and guiding English-speaking tourists from different parts of the world. I am both a member of the Egyptian General Tourist Guides Syndicate (EGTGS) and the World Federation of Tour Guide Association (WFGTA). I have attained a B.Sc. in Tourism and Hotel Management; an English Tourism Guiding Post Graduate Diploma and a Masters Degree in Management and Learning Development (MMLD).
I have worked exclusively with Abercrombie and Kent (A&K), Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) and Bales Worldwide for approximately the last ten years.
Previously, I have also worked for the following travel companies including: TWA Getaway Vacation; Thomas Cook; American Express; British Airways for Holidays; Libra Holidays; Gat1; Interave Incentive House; Travcoa; Merit Incentive House and Emeco Travel.
My other professional achievements and activities
- Selected by the Japanese Government as an official Advisor responsible for ‘Youth Contribution in Community Services’ on the 22nd ‘Ship for World Youth Programme’ – Japan 2010
- Egyptology Lecturing Tour – USA 2009
- Speaker at the Egyptian / Japanese Business Council Conference – Egypt 2006
- Invited several times as a guest Egyptologist to lecture at Adirondack Community College – USA 2004 and 2008
- Speaker and participant at the ‘Global Youth Conference’ – Japan 2005
- Invited to attend ‘FITUR’ – world famous international tourism trade fair – Spain 1999
- Created and ran ‘Travel House of Egypt’, which provided a tailored range of tours and programmes to accommodate for differing client / tourist requirements – Egypt 1998 to 2004 (when the company was sold)
- Participant on the 4th ‘Ship for World Youth Culture Exchange Programme’ – Japan 1992
- Past President of SWYAA-Egypt (Ship for World Youth Alumni Association).
- Past President of the Katameya Rotary Club.
My own travel experience
I have traveled quite extensively myself and most recently visited Japan, Singapore, India, United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and Saudi Arabia. My other travel experiences include USA, Spain, Sri Lanka, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Kuwait.
My next overseas travel adventures will most probably be back to the USA and hopefully to the UK in the near future.
My full curriculum vitae (CV)
Please do feel free to download a full copy of my professional CV, which can be downloaded as a PDF document (1.8 Mb) below for you to review:
You will need to download Adobe PDF Reader to view above PDF.
Now why not take a look at what some of my clients have had to say about my tours and their holiday experiences with me.